Some of the things to look at is I/O on the disk, CPU on the server. Look
at CPU and java thread dumps on the client. I use Ganglia to look at server
stats and it is often very helpful.

In my opinon best thing would be to add some code around various HBase
calls to see where time is being spent on the client side and then go from
there.

Do your reads read same data set as writes?