On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup a master-master replicated cluster using Hbase 0.94 - the
> two clusters will be in different availability zones. I was wondering if
> the following would work:
>
> 1) Setup cluster A and start reading/writing to it and run it for a week.
> 2) Now Setup cluster B and configure the two clusters as Master-Master.
>
> Is it possible to have such a setup, basically adding a master replica to
> an existing standalone hbase cluster ?
It will behave as master-master from the time you set that up (from
the current WALs).

Once the setup happens, would B
> inherit all of data that was written to cluster A prior to the replication
> setup ?
No, you need to run a copyTable job to do so. Note that you need to
run the copyTable before starting the replication otherwise, B will
send it back to A.
a) Run the copyTable job, (note the start timestamp of the job).
b) Start the replication.
c)  Run the copyTable again with starttime equal to the starttime
noted in step 1.