Rams,

I think you need to go back and think about why you want to use Hadoop and
HBase in the first place.
Second, you need to think about your data and how you are planning to use it.

Beyond that, we can only give you a bit of generic answers....

1) You can create a table with 600 columns, however... it depends on what you
are trying to do.  There are some limitations that you have to consider in your
design. However for the specific use case you stated.... they are not
applicable.

2) You can have models with different column families. However again it depends
on what you are trying to do.
However, in your example ... customer address... That's not a good example of
when to use a column family.
I was going to do a schema design course at a Hadoop conference next year, but
it got turned down because it was considered to 'basic'. Maybe I'll propose it
for the Hadoop conference in Amsterdam...  sorry, I digressed.

Have you thought about using a schema on top of HBase? At a minimum, Avro, or
possibly Wibidata's Kiji ? (Not that I'm plugging Aaron's project. ;-)

I am also curious... this isn't the first time this question has come up on the
lists... class project?

HTH

-Mike