Matan,
in short, your client should be able to resolve all names for all HBMaster,
HBRegionServers and all ZK nodes.
DNS or local /etc/hosts file, does not matter, but names should be resolvable
correctly on the client machine.
Then it will be able to connect to ZK, got HBmaster and ROOT/META locations .

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Leonid Fedotov