He could have meant that the region was unavailable for a longer duration.

My take is that you could have limited bandwidth, and a very large region on
the move.
While I don't imagine that it could take that long to move a region, you never
know how things are tuned and you could in theory hit a timeout.

I also have to wonder if HBase relies on the underlying HDFS to handle the move.

Thoughts?

Mike Segel