Tian,

The best way to think about how to structure your data in HBase is to ask the
question: "How will I access it?". Perhaps you could reply with the sorts of
queries you expect to be able to do over this data? For example, retrieve any
single conversation between two people in < 10 ms; or show all conversations
that happened in a single hour, regardless of participants. HBase only gives
you fast GET/SCAN access along a single "primary" key (the row key) so you must
choose it carefully, or else duplicate & denormalize your data for fast access.

Your data size seems reasonable (but not overwhelming) for HBase. 100B messages
x 1K bytes per message on average comes out to 100TB. That, plus 3x replication
in HDFS, means you need roughly 300TB of space. If you have 13 nodes (taking
out 2 for redundant master services) that's a requirement for about 23T of
space per server. That's a lot, even these days. Did I get all that math right?

On your question about multiple tables: a table in HBase is only a namespace
for rowkeys, and a container for a set of regions. If it's a homogenous data
set, there's no advantage to breaking the table into multiple tables; that's
what regions within the table are for.

Ian

ps - Please don't cross post to both dev@ and user@.