> You didn't say which HBase version. I'm assuming 0.94.

HBase 0.94.1 and higher.

Looks very simple from the region server side, thanks for the tip.

As for the client invoking the endpoint based coprocessor, I would like to
initially set these values so that the region servers would decrement them on
each finished invocation (until the values are less than zero, which signals
them to return nothing, and finish).

I could do this through an HConnection instance, but
HConnection.getZooKeeperWatcher() is deprecated since 0.94.x.  From the
comments it seems like ZooKeeper is now supposed to be completely hidden from
view from the HBase client.

This gets me closer to a second option.  I could also store the shared state in
another HBase table (specifically for this task), and use
HTable.incrementColumnValue.  Once the operation is done, I could just delete
the 'session' row from the client side.