A distributed mode of HBase does not make use of the hbase.tmp.dir in
any way. It simply leverages the DataNode's ability to scale over
multiple disks and leaves the dirty work to it.

Makes sense to be parallelized for "beefier" standalone instances, but
I wonder who uses those and how it may even be done as HBase
expects/uses a flat directory structure presently.

--
Harsh J