You can do that, approach might vary though, depending upon the scenario.
You just have to think well about your schema in order to make sure that it
fits into your put and get requirements.

I have not worked personally on JSON+Hbase combo, so could not give any
direct suggestion at the moment. But we have a lot of folks here on the list
who have experience on such things. Let us hope they come across with this
thread.

I have a few things in mind which I would like to share with you though. Try
not to store too large JSON files. You might need to consider making the
column family compressed. I would first serialize the JSON into Bytes and
then write to Hbase cells and while pulling the data, deserialize it back
in the
same layer.

You may find this
thread<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.hadoop.hbase.user/15261>