JM,

  I think you misunderstood me.  I am not advocating any form of RAID for
Hadoop.  It is true that we already have redundancy built in with HDFS.  So
unless you were going to do something silly like sacrifice speed to run
RAID1 or RAID5 and lower your replication to 2...just don't do it :)
 Anyway, yes you probably should have 3 - 4 drives per node if not more.
 At that point then the you will really see the benefit of JBOD over RAID0

Do you want to be able to lose a drive and keep the node up?  If yes, then
JBOD is for you.  Do you not care if you lose that node due to drive
failure? You just need speed, then RAID0 may be the correct choice.  Sar
will take some time to populate.  Give it about 24 hours and you should be
able to glean some interesting information.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org