Can you organize your columns and then delete by column family?

deleteColumn without specifying a TS is expensive, since HBase first has to
figure out what the latest TS is.

Should be better in 0.94.1 or later since deletes are batched like Puts (still
need to retrieve the latest version, though).

In 0.94.3 or later you can also the BulkDeleteEndPoint, which basically let's
specify a scan condition and then place specific delete marker for all KVs
encountered.

If you wanted to get really
fancy, you could hook up a coprocessor to the compaction process and
simply filter all KVs you no longer want (without ever placing any
delete markers).

Are you saying it takes 15 seconds to place 300 version delete markers?!

-- Lars