Thanks Lars for explaining the reasons for hotspotting and key design
techniques.
Just wondering, is it possible to alter key design (e.g. from sequential
keys to salt keys) at run time in the production system? What are the
impacts?

To Ted,
Thanks a lot for point out at [HBASE-7667]. Interesting idea indeed. And
Matt Corgan explained the trade-offs between having fewer and more regions.
He also pointed out how a large number of regions can impact the compaction
process. Although I am an expert on HBase system, but what did you think
about how to find an optimal value of stripes or sub-region for each
region? Actually I didn't get the idea of having a fixed boundary stripes.

Thanks again.
HBase community is really great !!

Regards,
Joarder Kamal