You can also use the service-level authorization support to control which
users/groups are allowed to connect at all.  It's configured via
hbase-policy.xml in the conf/ directory and functions similarly to the HDFS
implementation:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.4/service_level_auth.html

But with ACLs already controlling who has read access, you can get
finer-grained support with ACLs directly.

If you want to control which hosts can connect to the cluster at all, start
with iptables, as Mike suggests.