What Alex said or try the filter language that is described here:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#thrift.filter-language  You can use it
from the shell too (Do "help 'scan'" in shell and see where it talks about
filters:

"....The filter can be specified in two ways:
1. Using a filterString - more information on this is available in the
Filter Language document attached to the HBASE-4176 JIRA
2. Using the entire package name of the filter."

St.Ack