Just a quick thought, why don't you create different tables and duplicate
data i.e. go for demoralization and data redundancy. Is your all read
access patterns that would require 70 columns are incorporated into one
application/client? Or it will be bunch of different clients/applications?
If that is not the case then I think why not take advantage of more storage.

Regards,
Shahab