Hi,

We are using 0.94.6.1 version of HBase and are planning for high availability
testing. While the entire scheme to enable the cluster to be highly available
is clear, I wanted to get some idea about HBase Service lifetime in terms of
Mean-Time to Failure and Time of Recovery in cases of failure. Any historic
evidences will also help, as it will be vital for us to calculate the actual
availability of the system across an year.

While I understand that HBase provides more of active/passive mode of seamless
high availability of Masters, but any failure, will impact the performance to
some extent and this calculation will help in deriving the actual number of
nodes that we should consider without compromising on the performance as well,
while the system is available.

The article below from HBase wiki indicates that the Master switching takes a
couple of seconds to happen but I think the volume of data, replay logs and the
region availability will also play a key role in order to make the switch
complete, and hence would request guidance around the complete mechanism and
recovery time.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/MultipleMasters

Any ideas/facts would be very helpful .

Thanks & Regards
Pankaj Misra

NOTE: This message may contain information that is confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected by law. The message is intended solely for
the named addressee. If received in error, please destroy and notify the
sender. Any use of this email is prohibited when received in error. Impetus
does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee, that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors,
virus, interception or interference.