Thanks JM, I am not so concerned about holding those rows in memory because
they are mostly ordered integers and I would be using a bitset. So I have
some leeway in that sense. My dilemma was
1. updating instantly within the map
2. bulk updating at the end of the map
Yes I do understand the drawback with 2 if map crashes. I am ready to incur
that penalty if that avoids any inconsistent behaviour on hbase.

- R