Hello Michael,

looking in the code, it seems to me that the 60s is hardcoded, however it
retries for, on default, 10 times, so in total 10 minutes wait time, I upped
that to 20 times, so now it is 20 minutes for me, but still, we have some
pretty big regions whose compaction (which was the case in particular) can take
more than 40 minutes. I have split the big regions to alleviate this, so
getting a thread dump now will be difficult (this is in production so avoiding
the problems is the point). Anyway, looking on the code, for me its hard to
figure out which actions will block the lock from succeeding on the region at
the place I indicated, so was hoping for an answer from an expert. If the
(major) compaction blocks the lock, it might be, that at unit testing the
compactions are faster than 10 minutes so the problem never exhibits.

Stan