I was able to reproduce the same regionserver asking for the same local
block over 300 times within the same 2 minute window by running one of my
heavy workloads.

Let me try and gather some stack dumps. I agree that jstack crashing the
jvm is concerning but there is nothing in the errors to know why it
happened. I will keep that conversation out of here.

As an addendum, I am using asynchbase as my client. Not sure if the arrival
of multiple requests for rowkeys that could be in the same non-cached block
causes hbase to queue up a non-cached block read via SCR and since the box
is under load, it queues up multiple of these and makes the problem worse.

Thanks,
Viral