It's not uncommon to bump these values to something like 5 minutes, for the
exact reason you mention.
The obvious impact is that if the clients don't close the connections the
server will have to keep the resources. It's usually manageable.
Another one is that if the machine running the server dies silently (i.e.
the process is not killed but the machine stops responding) the client will
wait until the timeout is reached. On 0.96 this is covered by HBASE-7590:
the connection will be cut whatever the timeout. It's not available on the
0.94.

Cheers,

Nicolas