"*do i understand it correctly that when i create lots of tables, but they
all use the same column family (by name), that i am just using one column
**family *and i am OK with respect to limiting number of column families ?"

I don't think so. Column families are per table. Even if the name of the
column families are same across multiple tables, they will have separate
physical representation and it will not limit the number of column families.

Regards,
Shahab