> My understanding is that HBase requires "durable sync" capabilities of
HDFS (i.e. hflush() hsync()), but does *not* require file append
capabilities.

99.99% true. The remaining 0.01% is an exceptional code path during the
data recovery (as a fall back mechanism to ensure that we can start the
recovery and nobody is writing).  This code was very unlikely to be called.
It was removed in august this year (in HBASE-8204), for both 0.94 & 0.96.

> In an HDFS 2.x environment, will HBase function properly with
'dfs.support.append' set to FALSE?

Yes, you don't need it.

Cheers,

Nicolas