First I forgot to mention that <customerId> in our case is
MD5(<customerId>).
In our case, we have so much data flowing in, that we end up having a
region per <customerId><bucket> pretty quickly and even that, is splitted
into different regions by specific date duration (timestamp).

We're not witnessing a hotspot issue. I built some scripts in java and awk,
and saw that 66% of our customers use more than 1Rs.

We have two main serious issues: primary and secondary.

Our primary issue being the slow-region vs fast-region. First let's be
reminded that a region represents as I detailed before a specific
<customerId><bucket>. Some customers gets x50 times more data that other
customers at a specific time frame (2hrs - 1 day). So in a one RS, we have
regions getting 10 write requests per hour, vs 50k write requests per hour.
So the region mapped to the slow-filling customer id, doesn't get to the
256MB flush limit and hence isn't flushed, while the regions mapped to the
fast-filling customer id, are flushing very quickly since they are filling
very quickly.
Let's say the 1st WAL file contains the put of a slow-filling customerId.
the fast-filling customerId, fills up the rest of that file. After 20-30
seconds, the file gets rolled, and another file fills up with fast filling
customerId. After a while, we get to 32 WAL Files. The 1st file wasn't
deleted since its region wasn't flushed. The 32 limit makes HBase go into
stress mode, and dump all involving regions contains in those 32 WAL Files.
In our case, we saw that it flushes 111 regions. Lots of the store files
are 3k-3mb sized. So our compaction queue start filling up with those store
files needs to be compacted.
At the of the road, the RS gets dead.

Our secondary issue is those of empty regions - we get to a situation where
a region is mapped to a specific <customerId>, <bucket>, and date range
(1/7 - 3/7). Those when we are in August (we TTL set to 30 days), those
regions gets empty and will never get filled again.
We assume this somehow wrecks havoc in the load balancer, and also MSLAB
probably steals 1-2 GB of memory for those empty regions.

Thanks!