I have a task which comes with a lot of requests. I had the same issue with
0.94. I managed to solve it with letting my requests waiting longer if the
traffic is high and they have to wait (time_wait expansion). I put the
following properties in hbase-site.xml:

  <property>
    <name>hbase.rpc.timeout</name>
    <value>120000</value>
    <description>
    </description>
  </property>

  <property>
    <name>hbase.regionserver.lease.period</name>
    <value>120000</value>
    <description>
    </description>
  </property>

Now I changed from 0.96.1.1-hadoop2 to 0.94 again and it didn't throw any
exceptions with 0.94 as before. But I guess this setting doesnt work for
0.96.1.1-hadoop2 as "Nicolas Liochon" sujested in this post.
For the log, I have to switch back to 0.96.1.1-hadoop2 again and run the
task which I will do in the following days and let you know about that.

thx and regards,