Thanks Michael, yes  cells are byte[]; therefore, storing JSON or other
document structures is always possible.  Our use cases include querying
individual elements in the structure - so that would require reconstituting
the documents and then parsing them for every row.  We probably are not
headed in the direction of HBase for those use cases: but we are trying to
make that determination after having carefully considered the extent of the
mismatch.