> Are anyone aware of any company who does not
use the hdfs default policy and flush every WAL sync.

It's a trade-off. You'll only lose data when and the wrong three machines die
around the same time (you'd have an outage that any block that exists only on
these three boxes). Not also that time of the data not being on disk is
bounded, eventually the OS the flush dirty pages, Linux does it every 15s by
default.

So you'd have all machines die before a single of them manages to flush the
dirty pages to disk. Of course that can happen, for example during a data
center power outage.

A while ago I added HDFS-744 to HDFS, but never finished the parts in HBase as
nobody (including myself in the end) was interested in it. Reminds to maybe
take this up again in HBase 2.0 since now we support fewer versions of Hadoop.

When HDFS gets tiered storage, we can revive this and put HBase's WAL on SSD
storage.

-- Lars