The error sounds like you do not have your HDFS configs in the classpath.

Generally, you should be submitting the job via the 'hadoop jar' command
(and your main class should be implementing Tool). This will take care of
setting the correct classpath for both the Hadoop related jars and
configuration files. See the Ref Guide section on running MapReduce jobs[1].

With this approach, you can list the hadoop / hbase related artifacts as
"provided" in your pom. Hadoop will add what it needs, and
TableMapReduceUtil will add the jars needed for HBase.

In addition, you should use the -libjars argument to that command if you
need things other than your application jar (and using this for
dependencies is preferable to building a jar-with-dependencies).

Overall, this sounds like a CM/CDH configuration deployment issue and not
something specific to HBase. In the future please consider sending these
kinds of vendor-specific questions to the community support mechanisms of
said vendor. In Cloudera's case, that's http://community.cloudera.com/

-Sean

[1]: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#mapreduce

--