Spark supports creating RDDs using Hadoop input and output formats (
https://spark.apache.org/docs/1.2.1/api/scala/index.html#org.apache.spark.rdd.HadoopRDD)
. You can use our TableInputFormat (
https://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce/TableInputFormat.html)
or TableOutputFormat (
https://hbase.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce/TableOutputFormat.html).
These divide work up according to the contours of the keyspace and provide
information to the framework on how to optimally place tasks on the cluster
for data locality. You may not need to do anything special. InputFormats
like TableInputFormat hand over an array of InputSplit (
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.0/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapreduce/InputSplit.html)
to the framework so it can optimize task placement. Hadoop MapReduce takes
advantage of this information. I looked at Spark's HadoopRDD implementation
and it appears to make use of this information when partitioning the RDD.

You might also want to take a look at Ted Malaka's SparkOnHBase:
https://github.com/tmalaska/SparkOnHBase

--
Best regards,

   - Andy