Those rows are written out into HBase blocks on cell boundaries. Your
column family has a BLOCK_SIZE attribute, which you may or may have no
overridden the default of 64k. Cells are written into a block until is it
>= the target block size. So your single 500mb row will be broken down into
thousands of HFile blocks in some number of HFiles. Some of those blocks
may contain just a cell or two and be a couple MB in size, to hold the
largest of your cells. Those blocks will be loaded into the Block Cache as
they're accessed. If your careful with your access patterns and only
request cells that you need to evaluate, you'll only ever load the blocks
containing those cells into the cache.

> Will the entire row be loaded or only the qualifiers I ask for?

So then, the answer to your question is: it depends on how you're
interacting with the row from your coprocessor. The read path will only
load blocks that your scanner requests. If your coprocessor is producing
scanner with to seek to specific qualifiers, you'll only load those blocks.

Related question: Is there a reason you're using a coprocessor instead of a
regular filter, or a simple qualified get/scan to access data from these
rows? The "default stuff" is already tuned to load data sparsely, as would
be desirable for your schema.

-n