On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 1:46 AM, David chen <c77...@163.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ted,
> For scenario #1, can not see any clues in regionserver log file that
> denotes "kill -9" command was executed. Meanwhile, i think when JVM
> inspects regionserver process OOME, it will create a new thread to execute
> "kill -9 %p", the new thread should not write regionserver log, so the
> fact, there is not any clues in regionserver log, is normal. Right?
> For scenario #2, dmesg also did not provide any clues. But some clues were
> seen in /var/log/messages:
> May 14 12:00:38 localhost kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 22827 (java)
> score 497 or sacrifice child
> May 14 12:00:38 localhost kernel: Killed process 22827, UID 483, (java)
> total-vm:17569220kB, anon-rss:16296276kB, file-rss:240kB
> The 22827 above is regionserver PID.
> It looks like regionserver itself OOM(total-vm:17569220kB,
> anon-rss:16296276kB, the max-heap-size set is 15G), so was killed. Right?

Yes.

> But hbase has no heavy load in the cluster,

Doesn't matter. You allocated it a heap of 15G. The OS is looking for
memory and is at a extreme (swapping totally disabled?) so it starts
killing random processes. This is not an hbase issue. It is an
oversubscription problem. Google how to address.

> so i don't think it was killed because of itself OOME, instead i think
> because of lack of memory for other applications, so OS kill regionserver
> to run more applications.
> I currently has no evidence to prove my idea, so hope more helps. Thanks.

You quote all necessary evidence above.

St.Ack