When you started  your client server was the META table assigned.  May be
some thing happened around that time and the client app was just waiting on
the meta table to be assigned.  It would have retried - Can you check the
logs.?

So the best part here is the stand alone client was able to be successful -
which means the new clients were able to talk successfully with the
server.  And hence the restart of your client has solved  your problem.  It
may be difficult to trouble shoot the exact issue with the limited info -
but see if your client app regularly gets stalled and then it is better to
trouble shoot your app and the way it accesses the server.