I was out of the country this past week where access to gmail was difficult.

Looking at client stack trace, it seems the hang corresponded to the
following:
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ClientSmallReversedScanner.next(ClientSmallReversedScanner.java:145)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.client.ConnectionManager$HConnectionImplementation.locateRegionInMeta(ConnectionManager.java:1200)

Will continue digging through the stack traces / logs.

Cheers