Hi, all:

We have a HBase Cluster which has several hundreds of region servers and each
RS hosts nearly 300 regions. Currently one of our tables has increased to 16 TB
and some region exceeds 10 GB. Major compaction on these regions is painful as
it produces a lot of disk I/O and will affect the performance of RS. The auto
splitting size of IncreasingToUpperBoundRegionSplitPolicy increased to 16 GB or
more for this huge table. My solution is set attribute MAX_FILESIZE on this
table so ConstantSizeRegionSplitPolicy auto splitting will work again.

My question is: What are the common advices or configuration options to host
such a huge table. If we decide to limit the region size, how can we decide the
optimised region size? If region size is too large, major compaction is
painful; but if region size is too small, then we have a lot of small region
which will overwhelm the RS.

林豪
云平台  研发工程师

爱奇艺公司