check hmaster:60010 under TASKS (between Software Attributes and Tables)
you will see if you have regions in transition. This will tell you which
regions are transitioning and you can go to those region server logs and
check them, I've run into a couple of these and every time they've talk to
me about their problem.

Also, under Software Attributes you can check the HBase version.