For #1, please take a look
at
hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/DFSClient.java

e.g. the following methods:

  public DFSInputStream open(String src) throws IOException {

  public HdfsDataOutputStream append(final String src, final int buffersize,

      EnumSet<CreateFlag> flag, final Progressable progress,

      final FileSystem.Statistics statistics) throws IOException {

Cheers