For compaction configurations, you can also set it per table OR even per
column family.

In java, you can use

HTableDescriptor.setConfiguration() or HColumnDescriptor.setConfiguration()
to set the specific configuration values that overrides the ones set in
hbase-site.xml. For compaction and flush, we have a CompoundConfiguration
that is a layered configuration of hbase-site.xml values ->
HTD.getConfiguration() values -> HCD.getConfiguration() values.

You can also use hbase shell to set the configuration as well.

Enis