For #1, single Hconnection should work.

For #2, can you clarify ? As long as the hbase-site.xml used to create
the Hconnection
is still valid, you can continue using the connection.

For #3, they're handled by the connection automatically.

For #4, the HTable ctor you cited doesn't exist in master branch.
You can control the following parameters for the ThreadPoolExecutor - see
HTable#getDefaultExecutor():

    int maxThreads = conf.getInt("hbase.htable.threads.max", Integer.
MAX_VALUE);

    if (maxThreads == 0) {

      maxThreads = 1; // is there a better default?

    }

    int corePoolSize = conf.getInt("hbase.htable.threads.coresize", 1);

    long keepAliveTime = conf.getLong("hbase.htable.threads.keepalivetime",
60);