Hi,

We have a large HBase 1.x cluster in AWS and have disabled automatic major
compaction as advised. We were running our own code for compaction daily
around midnight which calls HBaseAdmin.majorCompactRegion(byte[]
regionName) in a rolling fashion across all regions.

But we missed the fact that this is an asynchronous operation, so in
practice this causes major compaction to run across all regions, at least
those not already major compacted (for example because previous minor
compactions got upgraded to major ones).

We don't really have a suitable low load period, so what is a suitable way
to make major compaction run in a rolling fashion region by region? The API
above provides no return value for us to be able to wait for one compaction
to finish before moving to the next.

Thanks.

----
Saad