Every split results in major compactions for both daughter regions.
Concurrent major compactions across a cluster is bad.
I recommend you to set DisabledRegionSplitPolicy on your table(s) and run
splits manually - you will have control on what and when should be split.
The same is true for major compactions: disable periodic major compactions
and run them manually.

-Vlad