Hi,

There is 2 reasons to have a major compaction.

the first on is when a minor compaction selects all the files to be
compacted. It is then promoted as a major compaction for that region.
The second reason is time based. Every day or week, depending on your
configuration, HBase will trigger a major compaction.

In your case, what it can be:
- Flushs are coming too fast and are too small and compaction can not keep
up.
- Major compaction has been disabled in the configuration and is never
triggered manually.
- Major compaction are spiked for another reason that can be seen in the
logs.

Are you able to share the logs for one region server? What happens when you
try to trigger a major compaction from the shell?

JMS