We used multiple regionservers on the same host for a long time.  Our use
case was a little different.

We had a table (1 table on a cluster) that was 99% reads (random gets) and
1% writes.  The table was tall and skinny and we needed really low latency
gets.

To keep everything in the block cache and to minimize GC time we had 5
regionservers per machine instead of one RS with a huge heap.

This worked really well for us, deployment was a bit of a pain as a lot of
the start / stop scripts wont work out of the box (or at least didn't at
the time).

Once bucket cache came around we just reverted back to one regionserver per
machine as it was easier to handle operationally.  But other than the
operational pain, it seemed to work fine for us.