2. transform a start row and stop row of a region into number of start and
stop rows (by some criteria) and span scan query for each start and stop
row.

#1 is not supported (as you also said).

i am looking for #2. i checked the phoenix documentation and code. it seems
to me that phoenix is doing #2. i looked into phoenix code and could not
understand it completely.

The usecase is very simple. Hbase not good (at least in terms of
performance for OLTP) query by all columns (other than row key) and sorting
of all columns of a row. even phoenix too.

So i am planning load the hbase/phoenix table into in-memory data base for
faster access.

scanning of big region sequentially will lead to larger load time. so
finding ways to minimize the load time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.