For #1, see the following config:

    <name>hbase.hregion.majorcompaction.jitter</name>
    <value>0.50</value>
    <description>A multiplier applied to hbase.hregion.majorcompaction to
cause compaction to occur
      a given amount of time either side of hbase.hregion.majorcompaction.
The smaller the number,
      the closer the compactions will happen to the
hbase.hregion.majorcompaction
      interval.</description>

For #2, can I ask the reason for running on specific day ?
Is it because traffic to cluster is known to dip on that day ?