Hi Jeff,

If the question is simply monitoring HDFS read/write latencies, please
refer to HBASE-15160 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-15160>,
there's a patch but not committed yet, and probably cannot apply cleanly on
current code base, but still some good reference IMHO, so JFYI.

To get an overview of how quickly the system could respond and what might
be the root cause of the spikes, we only need to monitor the
average/p99/p999 latency of below metrics (stages):
1. totalCallTime: time from request arriving at server to sending response
2. processCallTime: time for the server to process the call, regardless of
the time this call being queued
3. queueCallTime: time the call has been queued
4. HDFS read/pread/write time: time of HFile reading/writing, added in
HBASE-15160
5. WAL sync time: time of WAL sync to HDFS, critical path of writing request

However, for your original question, that to monitor the whole trace of a
single request, I'm afraid no mature solution for the time being just as
Stack mentioned.

Hope my answer helps (smile).

Best Regards,
Yu