a) HBase does not support transaction - it only guarantees that single
mutation to a row-key is atomic. WALEdit can contains cells (mutations)
from different rows (for example when you do butchMutatate all operations
go to the same WALEdit afaik)
b) I coud not find postWALEdit()  in RegionObserver API. What coprocessor
hook did you mean exactly?

-Vlad