If it's helpful to state it in generic terms: specifying a range of
HBase timestamps is *only* a post-filter (server-side) and *never* a
primary search criteria.

In other words, searching by the HBase timestamp is a full-table scan
(exhaustive search). While the timestamp can be nice for certain
use-cases, I think it best to use it sparingly and only for its
original purpose (preserving old versions of a cell), and not as a
"query parameter". I've seen way too many use-cases where people think
they're being tricky by using timestamps to implement a poor-man's
search. This works for small amounts of data, but quickly falls to its
knees with non-trivial data-sets.