bq. And having a list of "dead" servers is not a healthy thing to have.
I don't think the existence of "dead" servers means the service is
unhealthy, especially in a distributed system. Besides hbase, HDFS also
shows Live and Dead nodes in namenode UI, and people won't regard HDFS as
unhealthy if there're dead nodes.

In HBase, if some RS aborts due to unexpected issue like long GC, normally
we will restart it and once it's restarted and report to master, it will be
removed from the dead server list. So when we observed dead server in
Master UI, the first thing is to check the root cause and restart it if it
won't cause further issue.

However, sometimes we may find the server aborted due to some hardware
failure and we must offline the server for repairing. Or we need to move
some nodes to join other clusters so we stop the RS process on purpose. I
guess this is the case you're dealing with @jeff? If so, I think it's a
reasonable requirement that we supply a command in hbase to clear the dead
nodes when operator assure they no longer serves.

Best Regards,
Yu