Hi Thomson

I think you are saying that the shell allows you to specify
delete 'tablename', 'row', 'family', ts1, {VISIBILITY=>'PRIVATE|SECRET'}
but the java client does not allow to do it? I doubt it.

In case of mutations like  puts and deletes what we pass is the visibility
labels. Now when you do a scan that is where we specify the AUTHORIZTIONs
so that only those cells with visibility cells as passed in the
AUTHORIZATIONS are returned back.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know if you need further inputs.

Regards
Ram