http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/jdk8/jdk/file/tip/src/share/classes/sun/misc/VM.java#l184

    // The initial value of this field is arbitrary; during JRE
initialization
    // it will be reset to the value specified on the command line, if any,
    // otherwise to Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory().

which goes all the way down to memory/heap.cpp to whatever was left to the
reserved memory depending on the flags and the platform used as Vladimir
says.

Also, depending on which distribution and features are used there are
specific guidelines about setting that parameter so mileage might vary.

thanks,
esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.