Thanks Stack, Josh and Andrew for your suggestions and concerns.

I share Stack's suggestions. This would be similar to hbase-thirdparty. The
new repo could be hbase-hbck/hbase-hbck2. As this tool will be used by
hbase users/ developers, hbase JIRA can be used for hbck issues.

bq. How often does HBCK need to re-use methods and constants from code
in hbase-common, hbase-server, etc?
bq. Is it a goal to firm up API stability around this shared code.

bq. If we do this can we also move out hbck version 1?

As HBCK2 tool will be freshly written, we can try to achieve this goal. I
think its great idea to move hbck1 to new repo as well. Though I think its
more involved with hbck1 as the existing code already uses what it can from
hbase-common and hbase-server etc. modules.

bq. How often does HBCK make decisions on how to implement a correction
based on some known functionality (e.g. a bug) in a specific version(s)
of HBase. Concretely, would HBCK need to make corrections to an HBase
installation that are specific to a subset of HBase 2.x.y versions that
may not be valid for other 2.x.y versions?

I see if this happens too often, compatibility metrics will be complicated.

Thanks,
Umesh